Tuesday 30 August 2016

Kilkivan to Gympie - Don't read your emails

Ride time - 3 hours 2 minutes
Distance - 51 kms
Climbing - 249 m

View the ride here:

http://cyclemeter.com/4539622a02fdb662/Cycle-20160830-0623

I made the mistake of checking emails this morning, and there are things to be done.  So an early start at about sun up.

It is a nice part of the world out here.  Numerous small ranges and gullies, with plenty of wildlife.

The Wide Bay Highway is pretty skinny in places and a lot busier than last time I rode it. Undulating the whole way, a few steep bits but overall downhill to the Bruce Highway. Then there are the 10kms in to Gympie along the highway which are dangerous - be careful if you ever ride it. Better still, find another route if you can!

Got in to Gympie in good time and thought I might be able to deal with "work stuff" from my phone at Hungry Jacks. Unfortunately no.  So I sent an SOS to Tracie to pick me up and had a burger and chips while I waited - luxurious!! Was home before lunch.

I've ridden to and from Gympie many times, so it's no big deal - that's the way it pans out sometimes.

Overall, this is a pretty challenging ride if you are self supported.

Every keen SEQ cyclist needs to do the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail at some stage. People have done a great job to get it where it is. Scenery in parts is really good and you get to visit places you ordinarily wouldn't get to.  No doubt it's a work in progress, but for it to be really successful and further promote tourism and small business in the region, they need to get the casual rider and his/her family involved. I reckon that will only happen if they make it easier, like the short section of smooth roadbase between Fernvale and Lowood. Most kids will spit the dummy on the rest of it.

If I had my time again, I would take an extra day and keep off the main highways. They are much busier than I remember from a few years ago. There's plenty of country roads to explore if you have the time.

Oh, and I'd use only panniers on the BVRT unless you are with someone who can help lift everything.

Early morning at the Kilkivan pub



No comments:

Post a Comment